A few days ago, my dear friend Jason e-mailed to remind me that the annual Fat Tire Festival bike race is just a few weeks away… Considering how last year’s race went (hint for the impatient: I came in 54th, and 12th in my class/age-group at 1:10:33), I figure this year I should probably do a little training to prepare for it. It seems Jason has had the same idea, and has been posting training updates (yay!) on his until-recently-long-dormant blog…
They say imitation is the purest form of flattery, so, here are the results of my first two training runs – though taking a slightly more whimsical approach than Jason’s updates…
Training Ride 1
- Date: June 21st, 2010
- Time: 29 minutes
- Rundown: I got lost twice, missed a turn and chopped off about 10% of the course, and hit a tree.
- Thoughts on starting: I can do this, no problem, maybe I’ll do two laps today!
- Thoughts on finishing: *gasp* Holy *wheeze* crap *gasp* I’m *cough* out *gasp* of *sputter* shape!
Training Ride 2
- Date: June 26th, 2010
- Time: 32:53 (including an extra turn around the hockey rink)
- Rundown: I actually stayed on the course, and realized just how out of shape I [still] am. But, on the bright side, I didn’t hit any trees, and did the whole ride in my middle chainring!
- Thoughts on starting: Today has to be better than Monday.
- Thoughts on finishing: I’ll probably die part way through my first attempt at a second lap!
I think it’s apparent that I’ve got a ways to go by July 17th – but with 3 rides a week, and some runs and road rides to balance things out, I think I stand a decent chance of shaving some minutes off last year’s time… Now: will you come out and cheer??